“Household Hazards for Birds”

Many of the risks or toxic products for birds are found among very common objects in our homes. Knowing these dangers will help you provide a longer and healthier life for your pet.

Kitchen Hazards:

Contact with hot surfaces such as boiling water or pans can cause severe burns to our pets. We should avoid letting animals fly freely while cooking or take the precaution of covering or shielding these surfaces.

Aerosols, fumes, pesticides, insecticides, herbicides, disinfectants, cleaning products (bleach), paints, adhesives:

Virtually any concentrated aerosol in small spaces can be toxic if inhaled by our parrot. Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE), also known as Teflon, is a chemical substance found in pans and griddles. When subjected to high temperatures (for example, frying), it releases acidic fumes that are highly toxic to birds.

Medicines and bathroom products:

In our home’s bathroom, many products can be toxic if ingested by a bird (medication pills such as aspirin, ibuprofen; nail polish, soaps, perfumes, lotions, etc.). Also, leaving the toilet with the lid up can be dangerous if the animal falls into it accidentally, as it can drown.

Unhealthy Treats:

Chocolate, tea, coffee, and alcohol should not be within the reach of animals. It should also be avoided that a parrot ingests or inhales tobacco or tobacco-derived products. Avocado is potentially toxic to birds, and onions can cause anemia. Raw potatoes and eggplants should not be offered to our pets.

Heavy Metals:

Lead, cadmium, zinc, copper, mercury. Intoxications due to the ingestion of heavy metals are very common in birds. These materials can be part of our furniture (frames, doors, keys, thermometers, jewelry, bells, cages, etc.). Before offering a toy to our pet, we must make sure that none of these metals are in its composition.

Open Doors and Windows:

Precaution should be taken to close windows when we let our birds fly at home. Wing clipping and the implantation of a microchip can help in case the bird escapes. Closed windows with transparent glass can also be a danger if the bird suddenly rises and hits them.

Any of these situations can lead to symptoms such as apathy, fluffing, anorexia, vomiting, diarrhea, bleeding, or fractures. In these cases, you should contact your veterinarian urgently.

For any questions, contact us at [contact link].